Chaat masala, also spelled chat masala, is a spice powder mix originating from the Indian subcontinent. It is widely used in the Indian, Bangladeshi and Pakistani cuisines.
The spices that make up chaat masala are each highly nutritious and deliver nutrients such as: minerals, iron, calcium and magnesium.
- 18g (3 tbsp) cumin seeds
- 15g (3 tbsp) coriander seeds
- 5g (1 tbsp) ajwain/carom seeds
- 5g (1 tsp) red chilli powder
- 29g (4 tbsp) amchur powder
- 51g (3 tbsp) fine black salt
- 7g (1 tbsp) ground black pepper
- 1g (¼ tsp) asafoetida
- 10g (1 tbsp) dried mint flakes
- 10g (1 tbsp) garlic powder
- Makes 175g
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 0 min
- Using a dry frying pan, roast the cumin, coriander and ajwain seeds over a medium heat.
- Ensure to continuously move the seeds around with a wooden spatula. After a few minutes, the seeds will release their aromas.
- Tip the toasted seeds in a bowl and allow to cool down.
- Place the seeds in the K-Mojo DigiMaster grinding mill attachment and process until finely ground.
- Add the remaining ingredients with the ground seeds and blend further until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Tip into airtight containers and store in a cool dark place.
- Use as needed.
TIP: Some of the ingredients go by different names in Hindi/Urdu and English, and either may be used on packaging. Double check online to be sure to get the right spices.